Welcome to Day #1 of Kick Off to Summer Week
I’ll be featuring my…
German Potato Salad
With summer quickly approaching and Memorial Day in a few weeks, we wanted to make sure you had plenty of ideas for your Memorial Day activities. Each day we will be serving up a variety of different appetizers, main dishes, desserts, decor, printables and more all centered around the up-coming Memorial Day. We hope you enjoy all of these wonderful ideas. Tune in each day starting with Monday, May 12 and ending on Saturday, May 17. We have great prizes up for grabs throughout the week so you will not want to miss out on any of the days! Follow #KickOffToSummerWeek2014 on Twitter to keep up to date with all of our spectacular ideas and giveaways!
Our sponsor for Day 1 of Kick Off to Summer Week 2014 belongs to Pick Your Plum!
We are so excited they joined us today. Pick Your Plum is an amazing deal site that features products from all over the world. New deals occur each morning at 7:00 AM Mountain Time. Some of these fab deals go so fast you might miss out on them because the deals are always so great! Pick Your Plum features clothing, home decor, crafting, party supplies and other fun surprises! You can follow Pick Your Plum on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter.
Enter below for your Chance to Win a great prize package.
Now on to my…
German Potato Salad
I have had quite a few different potato salads. And I can appreciate and like almost any type: mayonnaise, mustard, hot, cold, oil and vinegar based, with eggs, without…etc.
But I love this one that is German Style. Although, like our American Potato Salads, even the German versions vary. So I hope you like as much as we do. It’s easy and tasty.
- Boiled Potatoes – I count the number of potatoes per person – tonight 6 adults = 10 potatoes (2 of us are women and only eat 1 each)
- Hard Boiled Eggs – I usually always put in about 5 eggs – but you could choose not to put any if you like
- Jar of Vlasic Zesty Bread and Butter Chips
- Celery Salt
- Onions – I prefer red ones but you can use any type
Tip…before you boil your potatoes, use your knife and create a very light cut around the middle. Notice I didn’t say “through”. You only want to cut through the skin. This will make peeling the potatoes easier later.
How to make:
- Allow the potatoes and eggs to cool
- Dice half a jar of Vlassic Zesty Bread and Butter Chips – you may want to use less – dependent on your taste buds (and you can use any type of pickle but these are my fave)
- Dice half an onion – more or less –
- Cut the potatoes – I usually cut them in 3’s and then cube them, but you can slice, dice, cube…
- Slice the eggs – I use an egg slicer…much easier
- Combine the above ingredients: potatoes, eggs, onions and pickles
- Add half the jar of the Bread and Butter Chip Juice (aka vinegar)
- Season with salt, pepper and celery salt
- Let stand and allow the vinegar (juice from the pickles) to absorb into the potatoes
And there you go!!! Its done!! Yum!
Obviously this recipe is Americanized a bit as you cannot easily find Vlassic Pickles, let alone Zesty Break and Butter Chips. Hope you enjoy as much as we did today.
Before you enter the Giveaway below…
Be sure to stop by all of the other Kick Off to Summer Week 2014 participants for more Memorial Day ideas! I’ll add direct links as I can.
Margarita Grilled Shrimp Skewers by From Gate to Plate
Cherry Limeade by Summer Scraps
Turkey and Grilled Pineapple Burger by Keep it Simple, Sweetie
Place of Honor by Lil Huckleberries
Edible Patio Table Centerpiece by Bits of Ivory
Easiest Ever Grilled Chicken by Forty Eighteen
Ranch Burgers by Lady Behind the Curtain
Strawberry and Candied Almond Spinach Salad by We Like to Learn as We Go
BBQ Banner Printable by My Daylights
Red White and Blue Fruit Pizza by Like Mother Like Daughter
Star-Spangled Muffins by Food Lust People Love
But now on to the Giveaway!
Opens at 8am on Monday, May 12th.
Today’s Pick Your Plum Prize Pack includes TWO $50 Plum boxes full of PYP awesomeness!
**Giveaway is open to US Residents only. Winner must be 18 years or age or older. No cash value available.**
**Disclaimer: This giveaway is being sponsored by Pick Your Plum. #KickOffToSummerWeek2014 bloggers have not received product or been compensated as part of this giveaway**