My closet is packed to the top. I have started, slowly, organizing and cleaning out. But I still have a lot of stuff! I’ll post the closet transformation later since its still a work in progress.
In the meantime, again, because I still have a lot of stuff, I wanted to find a dresser that I could store some of that stuff.
Like always…I had a vision and couldn’t find what I wanted so I knew I had to make it!
Lo and Behold…my neighbor was throwing one away that she had bought from IKEA and so of course I snapped it up.
While it didn’t take me long to do, it sure was a lot of work.
I first had to take off the hardware.
Because my new hardware required only 1 hole, I had to fill the other hole with wood filler (with my fabulous helper…Emma). Four drawers so 8 holes total. Whew!
Then I had to sand the dresser, which included sanding the holes with the wood filler.
I KNOW…I KNOW…there are a lot of tutorials that show you how to paint a piece of furniture without sanding it, but this one was a mess. I wasn’t trying to sand off the color, but trying to get a flat surface. When you ran your hand over it, was like sandpaper. But afterwards…smooth as a baby’s bottom.
Once that was done, I started with a shade of cream and painted the whole piece, body and drawers.
Working with the drawers specifically…
I taped out the design on each of the drawers and then painted with the fuschia color.
Of course I searched for something else right away and found masking tape. I thought that the masking tape would work. Boy was I wrong. I had to go back and do a lot of touch up. But regardless…I used the masking tape to tape the design on the top and then painted away!
When I taped off the sides, I did use the Blue Tape. I put my big girl panties on and cleaned off the mud dauber nest! Again…GROSS! And then I painted inside the tape as well.
Once it was all dried and tape removed, I did have to flip it on its top and paint the legs.
That was definitely hard to do right side up. However, waiting for the legs to dry gave me the time to do some touch-up. I won’t show you a picture of the effort there because I am a perfectionist and you would then see the imperfection too closely. What I did learn, the more I tried to make it perfect, the more “not so perfect” it became.
I finally had to make myself just STOP and admire it for the piece that it was.
Last touch was to put the new hardware on the drawers.
While I DIY or pay someone else to DIY many things, furniture is usually not one of those items. This was my first project and I think it was definitely a success.
Stay tuned for the new jewelry station that I will DIY to hang behind this dresser. Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later. 🙂
- My first Have Conference (denisedesigned.com)
- Blog Conference (denisedesigned.com)
- other DIY (denisedesigned.com)