This editorial is really one written solely from experience. Most times I use other articles and sources as a means to add value. But I wanted to share what works for me. Sometimes that resonates more than just an article or a book.
But lets start with the definition of Motivation:
- The act or process of motivating. The state of being motivated.
- Something that motivates; an inducement or incentive.
I don’t know about you, but I need some sort of motivation to do all the things I do.
Things that motivate me are:
- My family
- My community
- AND ME!!!
But honestly…there are days that I feel less motivated than others.
What can impact my motivation are:
- My health (headache, allergies, etc)
- My job (nuances that we all encounter in different forms at work)
- Issues and challenges (both personal and professional)
- A negative environment, person or situation
- Lack of confidence
I know I am not alone. We all go through these issues.
The question is…
How do we get over those issues, challenges,etc and find that motivation again?!?!?
You have to:
- Determine the root cause – be honest with yourself and dig deep to figure out the real issue
- Be confident – whether its an issue, challenge, a person or a situation, be confident that you are making the right decisions and that you are adding value
- Focus – whatever you are doing, re-focus and remember the end goal
- Set and/or re-set your goals – once you have the end goal in mind, work backwards and make a list of the things that need to be done so that you meet your goal
- Get to work – just DO IT!!
- Confide in a mentor or friend – having someone to talk it through and/or hold you accountable can be key to your success…you don’t have to go it alone!
Some times it takes me hours, days, weeks and/or months to pick myself back up. But it doesn’t matter. As long as you can get past it and get back on track…that is what is important.
Your challenge is to understand:
- What motivates you
- What impacts your motivation
- What helps you to find that motivation again
Once you can recognize those three things, then when you have those moments where you have little to no motivation, you can power through them.
I will leave you with a few great quotes.
Be miserable, or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, its always your choice. – Wayne Dyer
People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity, no matter how impressive their other talents. – Andrew Carnegie
To succeed, you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you. – Tony Dorsett
Walking your talk is a great way to motivate yourself. No one likes to live a lie. Be honest with yourself, and you will find the motivation to do what you advise others to do. – Vince Poscente
The ones who want to achieve and win championships motivate themselves. – Mike Ditka