Choosing the Right Designer can be KEY!
You don’t want to have to change your blog designer mid-stream because it will cost you much more money and time that I know you want to save. If you read an earlier post The Cost to Blog, there are so many costs that seem unexpected. The more you can prep, the better off you will be.
Before you can even begin the search, you should first know what your blog goals are…where do you want it to go? Do you want it to make money for you? Do you want something simple or with a lot of options?
View other blogs for ideas. Make a list of what you like or what you don’t like because sometimes that can be just as helpful. Ideally, what you want is to create a list of your requirements which include your:
- Don’t Want
You will also need to do some research because you want to be as knowledgeable as possible. Research includes:
- Blog hosting options – know what your limits are, what you can or cannot do
- Framework – unless you are going to be on wordpress.com or blogger
- What type of design you might want – whimsical, business like, etc
So to ensure that you choose the right one the first time around you should be sure to:
- Interview potential designers
- View their portfolio
- Get references
You want to make sure that they have done a blog design before and are knowledgeable of the blog world.
You also NEED to make sure that they understand your requirements. If there are any deviations from your original list, it should be because you researched and can intelligently agree.
On the flip side, you want someone who can be creative and give you suggestions. If they are the expert, they will know more than you do.
It seems like a fine line, I know.
If you choose an experienced and knowledgeable designer AND you have done your research, know what you want, then together, you will have a good partnership. A partnership in which you have trust and can truly work towards a successful blog design that meets your requirements and enables you to meet your goals.
Good luck! Have any specific questions, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, comment below or fill in the contact form.
Future posts will include:
- Specifc questions to ask the designers
- Options to Monetize
- And more…
- The Cost to Blog (denisedesigned.com)
- Blog Elevated Conference (denisedesigned.com)
- Blog Tip – Networking! Networking! Networking!! (denisedesigned.com)
- WordPress.com or Not (denisedesigned.com)
- How to Design Your Blog: What Makes a Good Logo (blogelina.com)